Threshing Day by Rebecca YarrosMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
I did not realize how badly I needed to return to Basgiath until thirteen different Threshing Days reminded me exactly why I love this world.
Threshing Day revisits one of the most important moments in a rider’s life through multiple familiar perspectives, giving us the chance to experience the day cadets enter the Vale and either bond with a dragon or fail trying. Rather than centering one character, the novella moves among thirteen different cadets and dragon pairings, revealing pieces of the relationships, fears, motivations, loyalties, and grief that eventually shape the characters we know from the main series.
I loved this. Some chapters are funny (Ridoc & Aotrom), some are heartbreaking (Sloane & Thoirt), and several quietly add new meaning to moments or relationships from Fourth Wing , Iron Flame, and Onyx Storm. Ridoc’s perspective was exactly as entertaining as I expected, while Sloane, Liam, Xaden, Mira, Brennan, and Aaric added much more emotional depth.
The dragons were also one of my favorite parts. Every glimpse into their choices and relationships feels valuable because the main series constantly reminds us how little the humans actually understand about them.
This is absolutely fan service, but I mean that as a compliment. Rebecca Yarros knows exactly what readers already invested in the Empyrean world want, and she gives us more time with characters we miss while slipping in details that will definitely fuel theories until the next book arrives.
This is not required reading to understand the series, but if you already love these characters, I cannot imagine skipping it. It's a quick read, but it's also one of those books you can't put down until it's done and one you'll want to go back and read again.
View all my reviews
Comments
Post a Comment